The State Fire and Rescue Service (AMS) is ready to act in case of possible floods and urges residents to abide by safety rules. Sadales tīkls is also required to take care of personal safety and in no case to approach flooded electrical infrastructure.
The continuation of the article is under advertisement
- VUGD encourages residents located in areas where flooding is likely to secure things or relocate them to the upper floors. It is also important to take care of the elderly, children and people with disabilities in advance – if necessary, find the safest place possible with relatives and friends.
- It is recommended to designate a place where, if necessary, it will be possible to evacuate livestock and pets, prepare food for them in advance.
- Drivers are required to be especially careful on the road, to avoid sudden braking and to get speed smoothly.
- Sadales tīkls reminds you to make sure that in the yard, basement and other places that can not be flooded, there are no electrical appliances or heated wires. In rooms at risk of flooding, it is recommended to turn off the power supply in advance, if possible.
- Flooded transformer substations, switchboards and cables should be reported immediately by calling 112 or 8404 – and under no circumstances should you approach this location. If a hazardous situation is detected, Sadales Tīkls will temporarily cut off the power supply to this location until the appliance becomes safe to operate again.
It has already been reported that in the next 24 hours a cyclone is approaching Latvia from the south – it will bring prolonged and very intense rains in the east of the country. The Latvian Center for Environment, Geology and Meteorology and the State Fire and Rescue Service issued a red alert.
Large floods are expected, threatening safety and residents may need to be evacuated. Weather conditions will make travel difficult and could disrupt power, water and telecommunications.