This dish originated in the 20th century among Italian settlers in the United States and organically combines American and Italian cuisines. Delicious tomato sauce and parmesan cheese come from Italy, fried chicken fillets from America and all together – just a unique combination of flavors and aromas.
Photo: BBC Food
To make chicken Parma, you will need:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 100 grams of flour
- 2 eggs
- 100 milliliters of red wine
- 75 grams of minced parmesan
- 75 grams of bread crumbs
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic + 1 clove for assembling the dish
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 grams of fresh or canned tomatoes
- handful of basil leaves
- 2 mozzarella balls, cut into pieces
- a pinch of sugar (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. We cut the chicken breasts horizontally and open them like a book, then we beat the meat a little. Arrange the chicken with salt and pepper. Pour the flour into a plate, place 2 beaten eggs in the second, and in the third – a mixture of bread crumbs, parmesan, a teaspoon of oregano and a few finely chopped basil leaves.
- Dip each piece of chicken in flour, shake off any excess and then dip in the egg. Then coat the fillets with the mass from the third plate by rubbing it tightly on the chicken.
- Put the chicken in a pan and sprinkle with a little olive oil. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until ready.
- To make the sauce, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the onion. Cook until the onion is very soft and translucent and oily, then add 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes, then add the red wine. Boil the mixture until the juice is reduced by half, then add the rest of the oregano and grated tomatoes.
- Arrange the sauce with salt and pepper. Boil the mixture under the lid for 10 minutes, then remove the lid. Taste the sauce and add a little sugar if you think it is not sweet enough. Boil for another 10 minutes without a lid until the amount of liquid in the sauce decreases significantly, because this dish needs a fairly thick sauce.
- To mount the dish, use a large, shallow baking dish that will place the whole chicken in one layer. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the mold with it.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl, then arrange the chicken on top. Place the mozzarella on top of the fillets so that the chicken meat is almost completely covered with it. Bake the chicken in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the mass is hot and the mozzarella is melted and fried. Garnish the dish with a few basil leaves before serving.
Write in our Telegram